Don’t get hit….
On Halloween kids are twice as likely to get hit by a car than any other night of the year! Kids are very excited (hopped up on sugar) and may be unpredictable.
Remember these tips brought to you by Safe Kids Worldwide:
- Use sidewalks.
- Look both ways and use your cross walks when crossing the street.
- Decorate your costumes with reflective stickers and carry glow sticks or flash lights.
- Face paint is a safer option than masks for visibility of trip hazards or cars.
- Don’t text message and walk.
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing streets.
- Hold the hands of little ones.
- Educate before Tick or Treating about safety.
To drivers on Halloween:
- Drive slow.
- Do not use phones while driving. (And it’s illegal anyway.)
- Be on the lookout for smaller pedestrians.
- Remember kids may dart out in the road between cars.
- Kids can be unpredictable.
I want to leave you with this hilarious Pre-Teen One Direction Parody to remind you…..”its not har..arard…. not getting hit by a car!!”
Tara Arnold, RN
P.S. Don’t forget to brush those teeth really well at the end of night!!